Today I am going to share with you a family recipe. I don’t have a clue where it originated. All I know is that my uncle taught my mom how to make this, and she taught me. I’ve tweaked the original a little and it has evolved into the following recipe. This is a favorite in our house. What is nice about it is that flat iron steak is a very affordable cut of meat. Today, I fed our family of 3 on $13 which is always a plus in my book. Hope you enjoy!
Flat Iron Steak
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Flat Iron Steak
- Seasoning Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Steak Seasoning (Use your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Turn on broiler
- Place flat iron steak on a baking sheet, and use fork to poke holes throughout (one poke every couple of inches)
- Sprinkle lightly with seasonings on both sides. (Amount can very by taste, but a light coating on the surface of the flat iron steak should be good)
- Place baking sheet on top rack in oven, under the broiler, for 4-5 minutes
- Remove baking sheet and flip flat iron steak over.
- Replace baking sheet on top rack in oven for an additional 4-5 minutes
- Remove the baking sheet, and flip meat once again.
- Turn off broiler and turn oven temp down to about 250 degrees
- Place baking sheet on bottom rack in oven for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Remove and let sit for 3-4 minutes.
- Slice flat iron steak into thin strips and serve
- You can serve with Au Jus gravy over top or by itself.
- When made correctly, the inside of the flat iron steak should be a nice medium to medium rare. If you prefer your steak more done, add an additional minute to cook times
- Serve with potatoes and/or a veggie on the side, or even salad
- Can also be made on a barbecue grill